Due to the German Federal Police's instructions of 29 January 2021, passengers from virus variant-areas are subject to respect extended travel conditions. According to the Robert Koch Institute, South Africa is one of the virus variant countries. The Lufthansa Group, for instance, is currently only permitted to carry the following booked passengers on departures from South Africa to Germany:
- Passengers with German nationality or passengers with a valid residence permit in Germany (upon presentation of a German registration certificate).
- Passengers of other nationalities but only if they have a connecting flight to a "Non-Schengen state" and do not leave the transit area in Frankfurt or Munich.
- All passengers mentioned in the two points above must present a negative test result (PCR, antigen, RT-LAMP or TMA) at the time of departure, which is not older than 48 hours before the scheduled time of entry in Germany and complete an online registration on the site www.einreiseanmeldung.de
- All guests with final destination in Germany must follow the local German quarantine regulations.
- All passengers with a connecting flight to a destination outside Germany must observe the entry regulations of the corresponding destination country in addition to the above-mentioned obligations.