Eastgate Airport (HDS), also known as Hoedspruit Airport, in Hoedspruit in South Africa's Limpopo province underwent a major refurbishment which started in mid-2020 and was completed in early November 2021. With an average of 150 monthly flights and over 7000 passengers passing through its gates any given month, the airport needed an upgrade to better service its growing clientele of residents in the surrounding area and tourists visiting the Kruger National Park and private game reserves. The renovations included:
- A complete overhaul of the entrance gate
- Installation of additional check-in counters to assist with the high volume of passengers
- Increase in the size of the departure lounge to allow for ample seating
- The curio shop and refreshment kiosk received a major revamp
- The size of the baggage claim area was increased
- An ungrade of the boarding area to include a comfortable and sheltered waiting area with sufficient seating
- The fitting of the car park area with a large section of shading, sponsored by Kapama Private Game Reserve. Guests visiting Kapama Private Game Reserve now have the luxury of climbing onto shaded game vehicles before driving across the road to begin their safari adventure at one of the Reserve’s four luxury 5-star lodges.
Eastgate Airport / Hoedspruit Airport (HDS) currently operates scheduled flights from Airlink and CemAir from both Johannesburg and Cape Town, as well as private charter flights.
The airport is located just outside Hoedspruit, in the eastern reaches of South Africa’s Limpopo province. The airport offers quick access to Kruger National Park as well as to the towns of Tzaneen and Phalaborwa.