Kruger National Park remains the hardest hit by poachers, having lost 236 rhinos since the beginning of this year. Limpopo has lost 43 rhinos to illegal poaching; the North West province has lost 40 and KwaZulu-Natal 34 rhinos.
The number of individuals arrested in connection with rhino poaching is 199. Of those arrested, 176 are at the level of poacher, 10 are receivers and 13 are couriers.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 11 September 2012):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 336 rhinos poached
- Mapungubwe National Park (SANParks) - 3 rhinos poached
- Gauteng - 1 rhino poached
- Limpopo - 43 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 19 rhinos poached
- North-West Province - 40 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 3 rhinos poached
- Free State - 0 rhinos poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 34 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 2 rhinos poached
- Northern Cap - 0 rhinos poached