Johannesburg's objectives during the month-long EcoMobility World Festival and Exhibition are to:*
- encourage behavioural changed by showing that car-free methods of transport – walking, cycling and public transport – are achievable and have many positive impacts on commuters and the environment;
- envisage the future by showing what the Sandton CBD and surrounding areas will look like once alternative transport infrastructure has been introduced;
- contribute to making Johannesburg a cycling-friendly city through profiling dedicated cycling lanes and leisure events such as the Freedom Ride between Sandton and Alexandra;
- create awareness about the positive contribution that sustainable transport can make to mitigate climate change and create a future for coming generations; and
- showcase Johannesburg's initiatives to promote clean, sustainable transport and reduce harmful carbon emissions.
*via City of Johannesburg website (www.joburg.org.za)
The EcoMobility World Festival and Exhibition is a global event hosted in a major international city. The first festival was organised in partnership with Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) and was held in Suwon (South Korea) in 2013.