According to the report Switzerland is the top-ranked country, followed by Germany and France. The USA are the first non-European country in the ranking on position six; the first Asian country is Singapore on rank ten. The island of Mauritius is the highest-ranked Sub-Sharan African country on rank 53, followed by South Africa on rank 66.
The Sub-Saharan regional ranking puts therefore Mauritius on rank one, South Africa on two and Namibia on three. Botswana became 5th in the Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report's regional ranking.
South Africa (Regional rank 2, Overall rank 66)
- positive: natural resources, cultural ressources, price competitiveness, infrastructure, policy rules & regulations
- negative: safety & security, health & hygiene (health indicators, such as life expectancy)
- positive: natural resources, environmental sustainability, ground transport infrastructure
- negative: to costly & time comsuming to start a business, health & hygiene (not enough doctors, insufficient access to improved sanitation & drinking water)
- positive: natural resources, price competitiveness, well protected property rights, few visa restrictions
- negative: the Air Service Agreements are not evaluated as open, much time is required to start a business, underdeveloped transport infrastructure, low hotel room concentration, limited presence of international car rental companies, relatively few ATMs, health & hygiene (low physician density, limited hospital beds), health of workforce.
Pls see the pages 24-26 in the report for detailed info about the single countries!