The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) has unveiled South Africa’s upgraded banknotes and coin on 03 May 2023. The new denominations are available from today (04 May 2023) and will be introduced incrementally. The upgraded banknotes and coin series will co-circulate with the current series and retain the same value per denomination. The security upgrade is in line with international best practice to ensure we stay ahead of counterfeiters.
The upgraded banknotes continue to pay homage to South Africa’s first democratically elected president, Nelson Mandela, with his portrait featured on the front of all five denominations while the Big Five animals are depicted as a family. The new (fourth decimal) coin series is based on the theme of deep ecology, which celebrates the interconnectedness of humans and other living organisms as an integral part of the environment.
- R5 depicts the southern right whale along with a school of galjoen - South Africa’s national fish.
- R2 features the springbok family along with its habitat.
- R1 depicts the king protea.
- 50c depicts the Knysna turaco.
- 20c shows the bitter aloe.
- 10c depicts the Cape honey bee.
Post a Comment