A total of 98 people (Kruger: 48, Gauteng: 3, Mpumalanga: 6, Limpopo: 20, North West: 8, KZN: 13) have been arrested since the beginning of the year for rhino poaching and related activities.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 15 May 2013):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 229 rhinos poached
- Mapungubwe National Park (SANParks) - 0 rhino poached
- Gauteng - 0 rhino poached
- Limpopo - 24 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 15 rhino poached
- North-West Province - 25 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Free State - 0 rhino poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 20 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Northern Cape - 0 rhino poached
The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) is urging members of the public to report incidents of rhino poaching or any tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime-Line on 32211.