Despite the increase in poaching, the Minister also notes with appreciation the work done by various law enforcement agencies that led to the arrest of 60 people since the beginning of 2013, 36 of them in the Kruger National Park.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 12 April 2013):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 163 rhinos poached
- Mapungubwe National Park (SANParks) - 0 rhino poached
- Gauteng - 0 rhino poached
- Limpopo - 16 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 10 rhino poached
- North-West Province - 20 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Free State - 0 rhino poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 18 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Northern Cape - 0 rhino poached
The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) is urging members of the public to report incidents of rhino poaching or any tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime-Line on 32211.