A total of 60 people have been arrested, 36 of them in the Kruger National Park. The reduction in the number of arrests can be attributed to the fact that the case against nine alleged poachers arrested near Lephalale in March 2013 has been withdrawn in the local Magistrate’s Court. This means that cases are being pursued against 11 alleged poachers in the province at present, and not 20 as previously reported. Three alleged couriers were arrested in February 2013.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 03 April 2013):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 146 rhinos poached
- Mapungubwe National Park (SANParks) - 0 rhino poached
- Gauteng - 0 rhino poached
- Limpopo - 13 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 10 rhino poached
- North-West Province - 18 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Free State - 0 rhino poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 17 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Northern Cape - 0 rhino poached
The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) is urging members of the public to report incidents of rhino poaching or any tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime-Line on 32211.