Travellers coming to Cape Town should keep in mind that the City of Cape Town is currently in the process of re-naming various streets. Four of Cape Town's roads already got new names, while eight of the city's most widely used roads are in the queue to get re-named.
The four roads that already got a new name are
- Oswald Pirow Street > Chris Barnard Street
- Eastern Boulevard > Nelson Mandela Boulevard
- concourse between Artscape theatre and Civic Centre > Albert Luthuli concourse
- Western Boulevard > Helen Suzman Boulevard
The seven roads to be re-named are:
- update (21 Feb 2012): To view the list of proposed all proposed name changes affecting streets & public places, click here. For more info about all 27 naming proposals in Cape Town, click here.
- Hendrik Verwoerd Drive
- Jip de Jager Street
- Willie van Schoor Drive
- Vanguard Drive
- Lansdowne Road
- Jan Smuts Drive