Cape Town's Environmental Resource Management Department has introduced a new permitting system and rules and regulations for the trail that will improve visitor safety and management of the area. According to the news system, only 50 people per day will be allowed to enter the area and visitors must be in possession of a pre-booked and paid permit in order to enter the area. No permits will be issued at the entrance to the gorge.
Until an electronic booking system is in place, bookings can be made at the Helderberg Nature Reserve main gate during operating hours. The gate hours are 07:30 – 20:00 from December to February; 07:30 – 19:00 in March and October; and 07:30 – 17:30 from April to October.
The following information is imperative to visitors planning a hike in the Steenbras Nature Reserve:
- Steenbras River Gorge is only open from 01 November to the end of April and will be closed during the winter period
- A maximum carrying capacity of 50 persons per day will be permitted to enter the area
- In the interests of visitor safety, a minimum of three and maximum of 10 persons per group will be allowed
- No children under the age of 12 will be allowed to walk in this area
- Hikers need to be fit to complete this trail
- There will be a tariff of R60,00 per person