Oxtail Potjie Recipe
- 1kg oxtail, sliced into pieces in between the bones
- 2 tbs all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 250g Bacon, cubed
- 10 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 carrots, chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 large leeks, chopped coarsely
- 1 tin peeled tomatoes (800 ml)
- ca. 500g mushrooms
- 10+ small potatoes
- 300ml red wine
- 1+- litre water (or beef stock)
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 10 pepper corns
- 3 bay leaves
- ground black pepper pepper
- Wipe the oxtails dry with a paper towel.
- Put flour, salt, paprika, coriander and pepper into a plastic bag and toss together with oxtail pieces so the meat is evenly coated. Retain seasoned flour left in the bag in case you need to thicken the stew later.
- Prepare a direct fire and make sure you have hot coals for the start of the potjie.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the potjie and sauté bacon cubes.
- Remove bacon, add the oxtail to the pot and brown in the bacon fat. When each piece is browned all over, remove and drain on paper towels while keeping warm.
- Add onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until just turning brown.
- Return the oxtail and bacon to the pot and add the tomato paste, peeled tomatoes, water (or beef stock), red wine, thyme, bay leaf and the peppercorns
- Bring slowly to the boil. Cover tightly with a lid and allow to cook undisturbed for 5 hours.
- Add leeks, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes and continue cooking slowly, without stirring, for another hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh bread.