To date 167 alleged rhino poachers have been arrested in South Africa since the start of 2013. Since the beginning of the year, 66 alleged poachers have been arrested in the Kruger National Park, while 37 in KwaZulu-Natal and another 36 have been arrested in Limpopo.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 23 August 2013):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 362 rhinos poached
- Marakele National Park (SANParks) - 2 rhinos poached
- Gauteng - 3 rhinos poached
- Limpopo - 59 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 39 rhinos poached
- North-West Province - 60 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 2 rhinos poached
- Free State - 0 rhino poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 60 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Northern Cape - 0 rhino poached
The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) is urging members of the public to report incidents of rhino poaching or any tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime-Line on 32211.