The number of people arrested on rhino poaching-related charges countrywide totals 140. Of the 142 alleged poachers arrested, 62 have been caught in the Kruger National Park and 30 in KwaZulu-Natal. A total of 27 suspected poachers have been arrested in Limpopo, 11 in North West province, nine in Mpumalanga and three in Gauteng. Five people have been charged with being couriers.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 18 July 2013):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 300 rhinos poached
- Marakele National Park (SANParks) - 0 rhino poached
- Gauteng - 3 rhino poached
- Limpopo - 52 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 35 rhino poached
- North-West Province - 53 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 2 rhino poached
- Free State - 0 rhino poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 43 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Northern Cape - 0 rhino poached
The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) is urging members of the public to report incidents of rhino poaching or any tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime-Line on 32211.