update (29 Sept 2016): Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company staff members affiliated to the South African Commercial Catering Workers’ Union (SACCAWU) went on strike on 28 Sept 2016, following the parties' failure to reach settlement on annual salary increases. Strategic operational changes have been implemented to limit the impact on visitors (see below!) We'll keep you posted!
The Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company (TMACC) in Cape Town has received formal notification that staff members affiliated to the South African Commercial Catering Workers' Union (SACCAWU) will go on strike from 28 September 2016. This follows the parties being unable to reach a settlement on annual salary increases. TMACC has taken a strategic decision to implement some operational changes, to limit the impact on their visitors during the strike action:
- Cableway operations will continue throughout the period of industrial action, albeit with a limited number of staff, which will restrict services
- Operational hours will be reduced. The Cableway will operate from 08:30 to 16:30. Visitors affected by this will be able to obtain a refund in line with standard terms and conditions. Please check TMACC's website www.tablemountain.net for frequency of trips during this period
- The following outlets will be operational during this period:
- Lower Cable Station – Kiosk and the Exit Shop
- Upper Cable Station – Table Mountain Café and the Shop at the Top
- The Top Station Kiosk, Visitors' Centre and Wi-Fi Lounge will be closed during the strike action