05 August 2014

Namibia: Duwisib Castle reopened after renovation

Following months of renovations, Duwisib Castle, a pseudo-medieval looking fortress located about 70km from Maltahöhe in southern Namibia, has been officially re-introduced to the market by Namibia Wildlife Resorts (NWR) on 01 August 2014. The accommodation facilities at Duwisib Castle now include five guest rooms in the castle and ten camping sites. Picnic sites are also available, as well as an underground wine bar, a kiosk, curio shop and a museum, which houses a collection of 18th and 19th century antiques, armor and paintings.

Duwisib Castle was built by German Captain Hans Heinrich von Wolf for his American bride Ms. Jayta Humphreys around 1908. They started to breed racing horses in the semi-Desert environment surrounding Duwiseb soon after. During a trip to Europe in 1914, the WWI broke out and von Wolf rejoind the German army. He was killed at the Battle of the Somme in 1916. His wife never returned to Namibia and eventually sold the Castle to a Swedisch family. In the 1970s, the Duwisib Castle became property of the state of Namibia and is today a National Monument.

No comments:

Post a Comment